As we start the new year, the Pathways Co-Editors, Natalya Jones and Grace Kohut, are putting out a call for Peer Reviewers for the next volume of Pathways Graduate Journal! Peer reviewers are an essential part of academic publishing. We are looking for graduate students with a background in any of the four fields of anthropology (Archaeology, Cultural Anthropology, Biological Anthropology, and Linguistic Anthropology) and from similar disciplines such as Indigenous Studies, Sociology, History, or Linguistics. We welcome potential peer reviewers from, as well as beyond, the University of Saskatchewan. We would like to hear from anyone interested by the end of January.
What is involved in peer review?
As the name suggests, peer review is the process in which academic papers are reviewed by a peer who is knowledgeable in that subject matter. Peer reviewers are assigned an article by the editorial team. The peer reviewer then agrees and proceeds to review the article based on its content and provide comments to the author. Pathways uses double-blind peer review, which means that neither the reviewer nor the author know the other’s identity.
- Attend an information session (to be scheduled at a later date)
- You will be introduced the peer review process and instructions on how to be an effective reviewer
- Must be available to review in May-July, 2023
- (likely) two papers to review for two rounds each
- once received, two weeks are provided to complete your review
- estimated time commitment ~3-6hrs per review
Why Peer Review?
- Experience and a fuller understanding of academic publishing
- Credit as a peer reviewer in Pathways Volume 4 (front matter)
- Valuable addition to a CV
- Contribute in a meaningful way to helping your fellow students
- Networking opportunity
- First look at research in your field
- Personal accomplishment and bragging rights!
Please reach out to us by the end of January if you are interested in becoming a Peer Reviewer for Pathways Graduate Journal.
Keep posted for our Call for Submissions as well! Peer reviewers are eligible to submit papers for publishing.